Screen Producers Australia (SPA) has unveiled the first finalists for its 2022 awards, which will cover an extended two-year period due to COVID-19.
Nominees are announced today in three categories: Animated Series Production of the Year, Children’s Series Production of the Year and Online Series Production of the Year.
Kids’ category promises to be particularly competitive, including second seasons of Emmy-winning film Blue (Ludo Studio) and Hardball (Northern Pictures) and currently Emmy nominated First day (Epic Films), in addition to 100% Wolf: The Legend of the Moonstone (Flying Bark Productions), Are you tougher than your ancestors? (Sticky Images / Kite Flying Images), Itch (Komixx Entertainment) and The new legends of the monkey (Rocking films).
So far, Flying Bark tops the nominees, also in the running for the Animated Series Gong for Lego: Monkie Kid, with Mashup Pictures for Phenomena and Young people on strike!, both vying for the prize online.
The finalist rounds are staggered for this iteration of the awards, with new nominations for the categories to be announced every fortnight. The idea is that this will give SPA members time to see each of the finalist works before voting.
“Year after year, local and international audiences can enjoy an incredibly diverse and exciting range of content from independent Australian production companies. We are extremely impressed with the quality of the content coming from our members who have set the bar incredibly high, ”said Matthew Deaner, CEO of SPA.
The SPA Awards will be presented on the final evening of the Screen Forever conference on March 30 at the Star Event Center on the Gold Coast.
Animated Series Production of the Year
- Kangaroo Beach – Cheeky Little Media
- Lego: Monkie Kid – Flying bark productions
- Nova Space – SLR Productions
- Strange chores – Pictures from the media world
- YOLO: Crystal Fantasy – Princess Pictures
Children’s Series Production of the Year
- 100% Wolf: The Legend of the Moonstone – Flying bark productions
- Are you tougher than your ancestors? – Sticky Images / Kite Images
- Bluey (Season 2) – Ludo Studio
- First day – Epic Movies
- Hardball (Series 2) – Pictures of the North
- DEMAND – Komixx Entertainment
- The new legends of the monkey – Rocking films
Online Series Production of the Year
- All my friends are racists – Maximo Entertainment / Hoodlum Entertainment
- Gray nomads – 4-storey productions
- Halal Gurls – Photos in between
- Kiss the sun – Didn’t you do the productions well
- Phenomena – Mashup images
- Scattered – Passion fruit bites
- Residues – 2Jons
- Young people on strike! – Mashup images
Other finalists will be announced in the coming weeks
Open to vote from October 12 to October 25
- Comedy Program or Series Production of the Year
- Light Entertainment Series Production of the Year
- Production of the year in reality TV
Open to vote from October 26 to November 8
- Documentary program or serial production of the year
- Feature Documentary of the Year
Open to vote from November 9 to 22
- Drama Series Production of the Year
- Feature Film Production of the Year
- TV Movie or Mini Series Production of the Year
Open to vote from November 23 to December 20
- Short Film Production of the Year