CoMix Wave Films, STORY and TOHO have unveiled a new trailer for Your name. and grow old with you director Makoto Shinkai’s latest film, susume. The preview that was just released features performances from the recently announced Japanese voiceover cast. (See the trailer and synopsis for the previous release here.)
The film is due out in Japan on November 11 and will be released in all major territories next year, including North America (Crunchyroll); Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, Middle East and certain European territories (Crunchyroll & Sony Pictures Entertainment); and French and German-speaking Europe (Crunchyroll, SPE & Wild Bunch International).
Join Nanoka Hara like Suzume Iwato and Hokuto Matsumura as Souta Munakata will be the acclaimed Japanese actress Eri Fukatsu as Suzume’s aunt, Tamaki Iwato, who lives with Suzume as her guardian while working as a manager at a fishing company. Fukatsu is known for her performance in Nasty (Akunin, 2010) for which she won the Best Actress award at the Montreal World Film Festival as well as the Japan Academy Award for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role. She recently starred in the TV drama, everyone come.
She will be joined by the Kabuki actor Hakuo Matsumoto, who will play Souta’s grandfather and “Master Close”, Hitsujiro Munakata, who is stern and cold but cares deeply for Souta. Matsumoto has had a decorated career spanning stage plays and television dramas including the Man from La Mancha theatrical adaptation, which launched its 50-year career on stage.
“Despite my lack of experience, director Shinkai and the rest of the team have put their all into this project, which will be reflected in the emotion delivered directly to the hearts of audiences around the world,” Fukatsu said during the interview. ‘announcement.
Matsumoto added, “It was my first time playing a character in an anime film, and director Shinkai did a great job guiding me to the best performances. He was very friendly and kept a positive mood. during the production, for which I am very grateful to him.
Additionally, Tamaki’s fellow fisherman Minoru Okabe will be voiced by Shota Sometani. Rumi Ninomiya, the bar hostess and single mother of two whom Suzume meets in Kobe, will be voiced by Sairi Ito. Chika Amabe, the energetic high school girl Suzume meets in Aichi, will be voiced by Kotone Hanase. And, Suzume’s mother, Tsubame Iwato, will be voiced by Kana Hanazawa.
In the new trailer, Souta meets Suzume for the first time and asks her if she knows of a door in the area. This chance encounter launches Suzume on his journey through Japan with Souta (who was turned into a chair following an interaction with the talking cat nicknamed “AristoCat”), closing doors that cause natural disasters. Along the way to complete Souta’s door-closing mission, she encounters Chika and Rumi.
Meet the characters
Tamaki Iwato: Suzume’s aunt who works at a local fishing company. She lives with Suzume as her guardian, but can be a bit overprotective at times.
- “To bring Suzume’s aunt Tamaki to life by giving her a voice, I humbly took up the challenge as it was my first time working on a project like this. Despite my lack of experience, Director Shinkai and the rest of the team have put their all into this project, which will be reflected in the emotion delivered straight into the hearts of audiences around the world. Helping to deliver is my mission for Suzume, and I intend not to leave anything on the table. — Eri Fukatsu
Minoru Okabe: He works at a local fishing company in the town where Suzume lives and is Tamaki’s co-worker. He has a one-sided crush on Tamaki.
- “I never imagined myself participating in susume, when I first saw the trailer in theaters. Director Shinkai is subtle yet precise in his approach, and I’m honored to be a part of the dynamic worlds he creates. The character I play in this film, Minoru, is a fresh, pure and honest soul, and is like a metaphor embodying the spirit of the town where Suzume is from. I hope everyone gets a chance to see this movie in theaters and find out what adventure awaits on the other side of the door. I have no doubt that everyone will be drawn into this beautiful world. —Shota Sometani
Roumi Ninomiya: A single mother raises young twins and runs a bar in the city of Kobe. She picks up Suzume who was hitchhiking on the edge of the street.
- “My first reaction when I saw the trailer for susume in theaters was, ‘Yes! Finally another Shinkai movie!’ and was in 100% audience mode. Little did I know I was about to get an offer to play a character in this wonderful movie. You can imagine my surprise! I couldn’t imagine diving into the world of Shinkai. The character I play, Rumi, is a strong, bright, lively and caring woman, as I read her lines and got into character, I could feel my mind at ease. Makoto Shinkai’s direction was very courteous and delicate in some ways, which made me want to take the opportunity to portray my character as well as possible. Recording in the sound booth was an absolute joy, but now that we’re done, I’m once again an audience member, eagerly awaiting the film’s release. — Sairi Itō
Chika Amabé: The energetic high school girl Suzume meets in Ehime Prefecture, who is the same age as Suzume. His family runs a local inn.
- “My audition was my first time doing voice acting, so I was honored to have director Shinkai walk me through my performance. When I heard I got the role, I remember feeling thought, ‘Are you sure I’m the one?’ but was ecstatic nonetheless. Chika is a junior in Ehime Prefecture High School and meets Suzume on her journey. She is someone Suzume can lean on, while pushing Suzume forward. recording process was so much fun because i got to step into such a bright and energetic character no matter the age this is a movie that gives people courage and helps you reaffirm your love for one another each other. It will mean different things to different people. I am honored to be a part of such a wonderful film.” Kotone Hanase
Tsubam Iwato: Suzume’s mother. She is an amazing cook and craftswoman who can carve almost anything out of wood. She is also Tamaki’s older sister.
- “I’m thrilled to be cast in one of Makoto Shinkai’s films again. My character, Tsubame, is a cheerful, vivacious woman who is also Tsubame’s mother. And, she has very strong ties to this chair. which Suzume used when she was little. I took great care in acting out the memorable “slice of life” scenes throughout the film. I thought Suzume was adorable as she ventured on her “journey to close doors” while discovering themselves along the way. This film is a must see in theaters!” — Kana Hanazawa
Hitsujiro Munakata: Souta’s grandfather. He is also Souta’s mentor and teacher when it comes to their profession of “Shutting” doors. However, he is currently hospitalized in Tokyo.
- “It was my first time playing a character in an anime film, and director Shinkai did a wonderful job guiding me to the best performance. He was very friendly and kept a positive mood during production, for which I am very grateful to him. Hitsujiro was a difficult character to play. The director’s first words were: “This character must be dignified, with class” and I kept thinking about what “class” meant in my performance. The project team members were all amazing and treated me so well on set. I can’t wait for the movie to be released on November 11th and I hope everyone is as excited as me. – Hakuo Matsumoto